When did you first attend the SODEM protest outside Parliament and why did you come?
Monday 10th December, 2018.
It was meant to be like a “tick in a box”, as I was told about SODEM, and I wanted to see what it was like… needless to say, it soon became a good addiction, and changed my life.
Roughly how old are you?
Born in October 1968.
How frequently did you come and when was the last time you attended?
- 2018: only once
- 2019: I tried to go once a month, and/or for Super Sodems and meaningful votes
- 2020: once a month, I was there on 30th January 2020, and I was there on the last Sodem before lockdown started, 11th March 2020.
After Sodem restarted in June 2020, I went every Wednesday except for two.
- Last time: 16th December 2020
How far from Westminster do you live and what was your travelling time?
I live in Birmingham, but I was a contractor in Lincoln & Runcorn.
- Travelling time from Birmingham to Stanmore station (where I park my car): about 2 hrs
- Travelling time from Lincoln to Stanmore station (where I parked my car): about 2 and 2½ hrs
- Travelling time from Runcorn to Stanmore station (where I parked my car): btw 3 and 3 and ½ hrs
Prior to the pandemic, I used to travel down the night before SODEM, and return back the morning (very early) after SODEM. I used to stay overnight in youth hostels.
What’s your favourite memory?
So many of them… meeting a new circle of friends; rubbing shoulders with the media; seeing pictures of me in newspapers, and on websites, and developing the activist side of me.
Tell me your story
Prior to becoming an activist, I lead a very sad life nursing a heart-break, which had made me close up to life.
I voted Remain in the referendum, and I was devastated when the other side won. Up till the end of 2016, I was just a keyboard warrior sharing posts against Brexshit and Trump.
I started my active activism in January 2017 in Manchester at the women’s march against Trump. I carried on going to more anti-Trump and anti-racism events. I went to all the pro-EU marches in London, except for the one in June 2018, as I had already planned to be in Berlin on that date.
Activism took over my life in 2019 after my 1st visit to Sodem. I started going to pro-EU events even up to 3hrs away from me, travelling up and down the country, and making contact with more activists from different pro EU groups.
I intend to devote the rest of my life to re-joining the EU.
Your donation helps to keep this website going. Thank you.